Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from Rachael Ray. You will need a cast-iron skillet. Preparation time does not include time for the rising of the dough.
Skillet Pizza Dough
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 1⁄4 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- For the dough, in small bowl, stir together the lukewarm water, yeast and sugar.
- Let stand until foamy, 3-5 minutes.
- Using a standing mixer, mix the flour and salt at a low speed.
- Mix in the yeast mixture and olive oil until a shaggy dough forms.
- Change to the dough hook attachment and mix at medium speed until smooth, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a greased, large mixing bowl, turning to coat; cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough before using.
- Press the pizza dough into a greased 9-inch to 10-inch cast-iron skillet and let rise until double in size, 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes; discard the garlic.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 T olive oil over the dough; spoon the tomato mixture on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese, crushed red pepper and oregano on top and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes before serving.