Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cooked Tomatillo sauce for enchiladas or tamales
Make and share this Tomatillo Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat.
- Grill tomatillos,jalapnos, onion and garlic in skillet, occasionally turning to toast all side, for about 5 minutes.
- ingredients will blacken in places (this is a good thing).
- Remove from skillet and put into a blender, add cilantro and puree until smooth.
- Heat 1 vegetable oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat.
- Pouyr puree into pan and cook, stirring constantly, until it darkens in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, and lower heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
This was fantastic with some tortillas dipped in it and filled with grilled chicken, more sauce and some cheese and heated up.
This was the first time I made Tomatillo Sauce. It tasted a little sweet. I may add some sosur cream of plain yogurt or add some more seasoning.
Great enchilada sauce for those who can't do chiles. I just eliminated them and it was still delicious!