Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a favorite of my kids who love meat but prefer their tacos this way. Be sure to allow time for the frozen block of tofu to thaw. Freezing and thawing it turns it into a completely different texture. We serve with corn or flour tortillas, refried beans, cheese, lettuce, and plain yogurt pretending to be sour cream. It's not too hot for the kiddos, and Dad jazzes his up with hot sauce...but then he has an asbestos tongue.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 16 ounces firm tofu, frozen and then thawed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, original blend
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned corn
- 2 cups salsa
- Wring out and crumble the thawed tofu.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, and brown the crumbled tofu.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and cook to heat through and combine flavors.
An interesting change from regular ground beef ... or ground pork in our case. I didn't care for the oregano, it's not a taste that I'm use to in taco's. I only used 1 Tbsp. of chili powder ... that was plenty "hot". We enjoyed these the "crispy-soft" style which means, we loaded up crisp taco shells with all the fixings, then wrapped it in a soft flour shell. Very delicious!!! Thanks for a great alternative Wendy0 :) I Made this for the "Cooking with an Asian Accent" event - March 2009.