Ancho-Cumin Chicken Taco Filling
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut up into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup cumin powder
- 1⁄4 cup dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- white onion, diced small
- radish (I bought pretty 'purple plum' radishes at the farmer's market!)
- tomatillo salsa (I skipped the tomatillo salsa)
- crumbled Cotija cheese
- red cabbage or white cabbage
- PULSE the chicken chunks in a food processor about 6-8 times briefly to chop chicken into small pieces, *being careful not to overprocess*.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cumin powder, chili powder and salt.
- Place the chopped chicken into the bowl and toss with spices to combine well.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Add chicken in a single layer and cook, undisturbed, about one minute. Stir chicken and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, about five minutes or so, stirring often and breaking up any large chunks with your spoon.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture onto freshly made tortillas and top with the sides of your choice.
- Note: I made tostadas using a masa mix and we enjoyed our tostadas with the garnishes listed above except I didn't have time to make tomatillo salsa. The menu: tostadas were served with freshly cooked whole black beans (very lightly seasoned with S/P), and fresh strawberries.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A simple and spicy little number and one that we both loved. I halved the quantities and served this chilli chicken with salad, red onion, avocado, Cheddar cheese and freshly squeezed limes. I also hand-chopped my chicken for a chunkier finish and we ate it with warm tortilla wraps. I loved the ancho chilli and cumin combo and the smoked sea salt that I also used added a lovely smoky flavour. Made for Make my Recipe in the Aussie Forum and bookmarked for future delectation. FT :-)