Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great lowfat stuffed shell recipe, tastes just like the traditional recipe.
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb soft tofu
- 1⁄2 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 10 ounces jumbo pasta shells (approximately 24)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions.
- Grate mozzarella cheese and tofu in food processor.
- In large bowl, combine egg whites, tofu, mozzarella chesse, parmesan cheese, parsley, milk, garlic, pepper and basil.
- Heat spaghetti sauce.
- Begin stuffing shells with tofu-cheese mixture as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
- Spread a small amount of sauce in a baking pan and arrange stuffed shells. Drizzle shells with remaining sauce so they do not dry out while baking.
- Lay a piece of foil over pan (do not seal edges.).
- Bake in a preheated over to 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through. Or bake uncovered 4-5 minutes on medium high in the microwave oven.
I thought this was fabulous, the kids thought this was fabulous, dh thought it was ok. But he's Italian. ;) I didn't bother separating the eggs....just used them yolks & all. I did make my own sauce although it was just a lame seasoned can of crushed tomatoes, lol. I highly recommend this as a way of getting extra protein into the kiddos! made for Pool Party Tag 5/10.