Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This has been a long time favourite for our family, even my 2 yr old and 3 yr old love this. We put the leftovers over nachos with some cheese, tomatoes, green peppers and onions. Oooh yummy!
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- chili powder
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- diced onion (optional)
- diced green pepper (optional)
- Crumble the tofu to small bits (this can take a bit of time).
- Heat oil in frying pan and add tofu and chili powder (added to taste, I add tons, about 4-5 tbsp).
- Cook on medium high heat until tofu is crispy.
- Add garlic and onion and cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, a dab of ketchup (the more you add the sweeter it will be so omit it if you don't like sweet) and a dab of mustard and a drizzle of extra oil if you like.
- Let simmer, bubbling until sauce is thickened and tofu is tasty (about 30 minutes).
- I like to give it a lot of time to simmer so it's really tasty.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with salad and homemade fries.
This was such a big hit in my family, that I was asked to make it three times in two weeks and my partner is a very picky eater. To help the tofu crisp a little bit i added 1 tbspn cornstarch to the chili powder as i mixed it into the tofu. i also found using a potato masher gave me a head start in breaking it into tiny little pieces. They have come out juicy and great tasting everytime. We serve it over fritos with some cheese and sour cream on top.
Thanks for a great recipe!
I've made this twice and I love it!! Just for fun, I make these into lettuce wraps.
With a couple changes (thanks to previous reviews for advice!), this recipe was really tasty! I froze the tofu then tossed it in the food processor to easily crumble it up. I also added the one tbsp of cornstarch to the chili powder. To give it that extra depth of flavor some people said it needed, I added about 2-3 tbsp of worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I topped with smoked cheddar cheese and put on toasted wheat buns.