Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I can't recall where this recipe originated. I love bbq'd Tofu and this looks really tasty since I also like things flavored with Marsala wine. You can also serve this with pasta of your choice.
For the coating
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
For the tofu
- 1 (14 ounce) packageorganic tofu (cut into 8 cutlets)
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons light oil
- 1 cup organic cremini mushroom
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- On a pie plate or in a shallow dish add 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper and the spelt flour. Using a whisk combine the ingredients.
- In a shallow bowl add 1 tablespoons Tamari and dip dip each piece of tofu in the Tamari, coating all sides, then shake off excess.
- In a large pan add 1 tablespoons of light oil and swirl to coat the pan. Heat on medium-high.
- Coat the tofu/Tamari cutlets with the flour mixture and cook in the pan of oil 4-5 minutes per side. Remove and put in a very low oven to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoons of light oil to the pan and add the sliced mushrooms, and stir until browned. About 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and then add the garlic and tomato past, stir for 1 minute.
- Off the heat, add the marsala wine and return the pan to the stove. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and bring the wine to a simmer.
- Reduce this by half.takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Off the heat add the lemon juice, stir to combine.
- Return the pan to the burner and whisk in the 1 tablespoons vegan margarine.
- Taste for seasoning and pour the sauce over the tofu.