My husband likes the idea of eating tofu, but not the actual texture of tofu, so I developed this recipe for him. He and the children love it! I usually make it as a complement to low-protein vegetable dishes. The chips are great hot, but they can also be eaten at room temperature or cold from the refrigerator.
- Cut the tofu into thin squares, about 1 1/2 inch sides and 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the tofu in a single layer on a clean dishtowel and cover with another clean dishtowel (I use clean cloth diapers, which work really well).
- Place a board (or serving tray) on top of the tofu and then place a heavy weight on top of the board (I use my heavy stand mixer). Let sit for at least two hours.
- Coat the pressed tofu with the nutritional yeast.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- On medium-low heat, fry the tofu in the oil for about five minutes per side, or until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.