Recipe by Jezski
A great bar cookie recipe, not gooey or chewy. There is a chopped nut base, then a crumb layer, then a thin spongy spicy cake-y layer. The amounts of spices can be adjusted to your taste. These work pretty well for me. From the archives in my collection. My daughter requested these, reminding me that I used to make them a lot. Things do get mislaid, though. And/or forgotten. Naaahhhh, who forgets anything at my age?!
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coffee or 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in a little water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together as for pie crust: the sugar, brown sugar, flour and butter.
- Sprinkle bottom of 11 x 15 pan ungreased with 1 cup chopped nuts, then with 2 cups of above mixture.
- Beat together the remaining ingredients.
- Stir into flour mix. Pour over mix in pan, spreading gently and evenly.
- Bake in a 350 oven 35-40 minute.
- Cut into as many bars as desired.