Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Our daughter, Susann found this in Taste of Home,and now makes it for every celebration. Unbelievably rich and good. She is such a good cook anyway.LOL
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 1/2 Tbs. vinegar in a cup of milk)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 cups whipping cream (1 pint)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) Heath candy bars, crushed,divided
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda,salt Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Dissolve coffee in water;add to batter.
- Beat for two minutes.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" round pans.
- Bake at 350 for 16-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for ten minutes Remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR TOPPING: dissolve coffee in water in a mixing bowl;cool.
- Add cream and brown sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place cake on a serving plate;top with 1/3 of topping.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of crushed candy.
- Repeat twice.
- Let sit in refrigerator at least twelve hours.
I just made this cake for a birthday party and everyone who tasted it thought it was delicious! I found that it was very easy to make, yet it looked very pretty! It is also a very filling cake! Thank-you!
I'm the Susann my mom is referring to above. You absolutely can cheat by using a boxed chocolate cake or a brownie mix. However, the texture and flavor or the original recipe cannot be duplicated. This mixes easily and quickly as well. I have four boys running around my house, and this cake mixes fast enough that I don't have to worry about what they're doing in the other room for long. If you're looking for a show stopper dessert to impress your guests, this is definitely the one to make!!! I cannot go to a function without bringing one with me. One recommendation: Make it a day before you need it, and leave it in the fridge. You'll find the whipped cream firms up nicely, and the taste on the cake is enhanced 100%.
I used a boxed brownie mix, crumbled it in the bottom of the bowl and then made the topping and put it on the top and it was just as good and took less time to make. Enjoy!