Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
mmmm. Traditional british food, I cook this with veg sausages and onion gravy, but it works with good pork sausages too. I will warn that yorkshire pudding doesnt work quite as well in drier climates, but a tip I have heard is to add a pan of water to the bottom of your oven while baking. Never tried it myself being in the U.K, but give it a go.
- 4 -6 large vegetarian sausages or 4 -6 large pork sausage
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- while oven is heating (or you are cooking something else), blend milk eggs salt and flour until you have a runny pancake like batter.
- Let the batter stand for up to an hour for best results, if in a hurry dont worry about it Place sausages and oil in a large oven proof dish and bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour batter over sausages, ensure the oil in dish is smoking hot.
- Return to oven and cook at 200 degrees C, bottom oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 180C and continue to bake for 15 minutes-- DO NOT OPEN YOUR OVEN UNTIL DONE.
- Remove from oven when pudding in crisp and golden.
- Serve with a selection of veg and gravy.
- For Vegetarian use Vegetarian sausage and use a meatless gravy.
Lovely simple recipe, easy and quick. I did add some rosemary and thyme and pepper, just to add some flavour to it, and might add some garlic next time too.
the batter mix was perfect, but just a bit too much oil for the size pan i used. xx
Have read about Toad in the Hole in British novels for years. Never thought I'd get the chance to try it. It was great! Used Morningstar Farms soy sausages and they worked very well. Topped it with beef gravy. Yumms!