Recipe by Ashley C.
This recipe is originally from http://joyofbaking.com, but I have revised it to fit my taste. The texture is perfect, and the crunch is just right. Delightful treat for any chocolate lover! I hope you enjoy it!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup Nestle semi-sweet and white chocolate swirled chocolate morsels (or any other mix of white and milk chocolate chips)
- dipping chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- Add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Add to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate/white chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface.
- Form into a log 10 inches long.
- Do this by rolling the dough back and forth into a cylinder shape with floured hands.
- Transfer the log to the baking sheet, and pat to even the shape.
- Bake until firm to the touch, about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack, and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a long spatula transfer the logs to a cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into slices about 2/3 inch thick.
- Arrange the slices on the baking sheet, cut side down, and bake about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and bake until crisp and dry, about 8 - 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Optional Steps: Follow melting directions on dipping chocolate (or make your own), and use spatula/piping bag to drizzle chocolate over the tops of the biscotti.