Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my cousin's recipe. A 'cake' in Swiss is traditionally one made in a loaf pan. This is a good coffee cake.
- 125 g butter
- 125 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla sugar (or a little vanilla essence)
- 150 ml milk
- 250 g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 80 g hazelnuts, processed to make fine crumbs
- 80 g dark chocolate
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and salt, beat until you have a pale mass.
- Add the vanilla sugar and the milk.
- While stirring add the flour, the baking powder and the nut crumbs.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces and mix in (I pulse briefly in a food processor).
- If you use a cake tin of 25 cm you have to bake it for about 45 minutes on 180°C A shorter pan will make a taller loaf.
Was going to make this as a gift, then decided to keep it for myself! Made it in a 9-inch loaf pan & that worked out just fine! Loved the combo of hazelnuts & DARK chocolate here, & I set up the initial servings topped with a small scoop of frozen yogurt AND a spoonful of recipe #198142 that I'd made a few days ago! Thanks for a recipe worth making again! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #20]