Recipe by Ant
An old South African recipe; I remember my mom making this almost every weekend. It has a strong brandy flavor and is delicious served warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and butter well.
- Mix dates with boiling water.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Stir all 3 mixes as well as nuts together until just mixed.
- Bake in medium size baking pan (sprayed) for about 45 minutes at 350.
- Boil sugar and water together over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add brandy, butter and vanilla and pour over hot tart.