Recipe by Sackville
This is a good desert to serve on Robbie Burns night, or any time for that matter! Found on the web and originally sourced to A Feast of Scotland by Janet Warren.
- 6 individual sponge cakes
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 2 ounces ratafia biscuits (store-bought or home-made)
- 2⁄3 cup sweet sherry
- 2 tablespoons drambuie
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons drambuie
- toasted sliced almonds
- glace cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Split the sponges in half, spread them with jam and place them in a glass dish.
- Roughly crush the biscuits and scatter them on top with the lemon zest.
- Mix together the sherry and the 2 tablespoons Drambuie, pour it over the sponges and leave to soak.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together.
- Heat the milk to body temperature and stir in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- When well blended, cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour it into the dish and leave it to cool and set.
- Next day, beat the cream to soft peaks and whisk in remaining Drambuie.
- Turn the cream onto the layered pudding ingredients.
- Decorate with nuts and cherries.