Recipe by peachez
A take along snack, whether I'm heading south to hit the surf or here locally. Easy to grab and run. Cook time includes cool and bag time
Top Review by Linorama
First of all I started snacking on this during the stirring breaks while it was still in the oven. Then when I poured it out onto the waxed paper I started nibbling freely and couldn't stop. Then I took a bite to my DD who immediately grabbed a bowl, filled it, ran to her room and closed the door. I made this for the guys to eat tomorrow during a big game, but I think I'll have to make another batch tonight so they'll have something to eat! This is a taste explosion. It's salty, sweet, and a little spicy all rolled into one. I used an extra cup of tortilla chips and Crispix as debra suggested in her review, and held back a little on the nuts. I think next time I'll either use almonds only or even give pretzels a try instead of the mixed nuts, as we're not huge nut fans in general. Thanks for a super recipe. I'd give it way more than 5 stars if I could! I'm making this every week for the rest of my life! :-)
- 3 cups Crispix cereal
- 4 cups tortilla chips, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bag microwave popcorn, popped
- 1 (12 ounce) cancocktail mixed nuts
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to your taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine cereal, chips, popcorn and nuts in a large roasting pan.
- Heat to boiling in a small saucepan; corn syrup, butter or margarine, sugar, chili powder, cinnamon and red pepper.
- Stir frequently Pour over cereal mixture in roasting pan, stirring to coat well.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wax paper.
- Place in sandwich size plastic bags.