Recipe by maryannatwork
or Soupe de Lentille or Red Lentil Soup an Egyptian recipe from "Sephardic Cooking" by Copeland Marks
- 1⁄2 lb red lentil
- 5 cups water
- 1 small onion, left whole
- 1 small potato, peeled, halved
- 6 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed, using mortar and pestle
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils and soak for 1 hour; drain.
- Put lentils, water, onion, potato, and coriander in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 1/2 hour.
- Process the mixture until smooth then return it to the pan.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add garlic, salt, cumin, and turmeric.
- Stir-fry over moderate heat for 3 minutes.
- Add this to the soup.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with toasted bread croutons or dry toasted pita.