Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Guests will be surprised to find that these appetizers, studded with nuts and bejeweled with pepper jelly are not to be saved for dessert. This is one cookie recipe that should certainly be paired with cocktails.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans or 1 cup unblanched almonds
- 1 cup hot pepper jelly (red and/or green can be used)
- In food processor, pulse together Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and butter until smooth.
- Add egg yolk and pepper; pulse until blended.
- Add flour; pulse just until soft dough forms.
- Place pecans on plate.
- Place 1 cup water in bowl.
- With hands, roll scant tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls.
- Wet balls with water; roll in nuts to coat pressing nuts lightly into dough ball.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- With thumb or finger, make indentation in center of each.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake in center of 350°F oven for about 15 minutes or until firm outside and lightly golden.
- Let cool on baking sheet.
- (Can be prepared to this point and frozen in layers separated by waxed paper in rigid airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Bake in 350°F oven for about 3 minutes to recrisp).
- Fill indentations with hot pepper jelly.
This was excellent! It looked so pretty on my appetizer table, and tasted so good. I baked them and froze them. I just let them thaw and did not reheat. They were great. I may try with regular sharp yellow cheese next time. Thanks for posting.
Came together easy & fast. After baking, my thumbprints needed tamping down a little as they puffed up, not leaving much room to fill. I chose not to reheat before serving; just put the jellies (green & red) in small zipper bags, snipped off a corner & piped them in. The result was a nice buttery shortbread texture that complimented the jelly. These added a lot of visual appeal to my Christmas appy table & only confused the kids who were scouting for cookies ;-)
I have had this in my cookbook for so long and I finally made these for my Christmas party and they were delicious! I used red and green filling for the jelly (Hot Pepper Jelly Recipe #35699 and Red Pepper Jelly Recipe #55830) for a festive touch. I rolled some in nuts and left some plain and I actually liked the plain cheese ones better but some my guests liked the nuts. The bases freeze so well and it allowed me to do some advaced prep so I could enjoy the party. Thanks for posting your winning recipe here for us all to try :)