1/3 Photos of Three Meat Calzone
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I created this filling just for Ed, since he loves pepperoni and hot Italian sausage on his pizza. I've added lots of oregano and a little garlic as well, and wrapped it up in a crust with more oregano. I don't think the tomato juice in the crust gives it any additional flavor, but it gives it an appealing color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the crust
- 1/2 cup tomato juice or 1/2 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1/2 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 1Prepare the crust: Combine tomato juice, yeast and 3/4 cup of the flour in a large bowl.
- 2Mix well then add oil, salt, and oregano, then gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup or so of flour.
- 3Work into a soft dough, then knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- 4Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean towel in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
- 5Begin preparing filling while you wait for dough to rise, see below.
- 6When dough has risen, divide it into 2 even balls and let rest another 15 minutes.
- 7Pat out dough balls into 2 crusts, each about 1/8 inch thick.
- 8To prepare filling: Brown the pepperoni a little in an ungreased non-stick skillet; add onion, garlic, pre-cooked and crumbled Italian sausage and ground beef.
- 9Cook together until ground beef is thoroughly cooked; pour off excess grease, then add oregano and tomato paste; stir to combine thoroughly and cook another 10 minutes.
- 10Add salt or pepper to taste and set aside to let cool for filling the calzone.
- 11To assemble the calzone: Spread filling on one half of the prepared crust; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and top with the other prepared crust and press down firmly along the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
- 12Slash top crust with a knife as you would a pie, then bake on a lightly oiled pizza pan in a 450 degree oven 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- 13Alternatively, you could make two separate calzones instead of one large one.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three Meat Calzone
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.8
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 119.7 mg
- Sodium 1352.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 44.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hot Italian sausage