Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I can't remember where I got this, but it was in a cookbook from the library. It looks delicious, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
- 1 lb penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Cook penne in a large pot of slightly salted boiling water until al dente, firm but tender.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from skillet.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet.
- Add onion; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
- Whisk together flour and milk in a small bowl.
- Add to skillet.
- Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; add salt and nutmeg and simmer 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch shallow baking dish.
- In same pot used to cook penne, toss penne with sauce, mushrooms, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Combine all the cheese in a bowl; set aside ¼ cup.
- Add remaining cheese to penne mixture, stirring gently.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.