Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The first time I tasted this salad was in Monikendam the Netherlands. Very easy and delicious and authentic. I like to serve this with thin sliced black bread and steamed potatoes. Cook time is refrigerator time.
- 1 (16 ounce) can potatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced beets, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) jar pickled herring, drained,reserve liquid
- 3 dill pickles, chopped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Cut herring into small pieces.
- In a large bowl mix herring pieces, pickles, onion slices, and onions from herring jar, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Fold in potatoes, then beets.
- If sour cream is too thick you can thin it with the liquid from the pickled herring, but don't add too much.
We were looking for something different for a starter for Easter Sunday dinner, this sure fit the bill. Lots of great taste. Couldn't find canned potatoes, so just boiled some in small pieces, worked great. We will make this again, great taste and a good company dish, thanks for sharing.