Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made these yet.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons red dates, chopped
- Place flour in a large bowl.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (about 95 to 98 degrees F).
- Add flour and knead about 5 minutes until mixed well. Cover with wet cloth and let rise until double in bulk.
- Remove the dough to a pastry board. Then roll until very thin, about 2 1/2 feet long and 1 foot wide.
- Spread some lard and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar and some red dates on the dough.
- Fold the right 1/3 portion to cover the middle portion and spread lard and sugar on top evenly.
- Fold the left portion to the center to cover the right portion.
- Turn the dough around, so that a folded edge faces you. Repeat the rolling procedure.
- Spread lard and sugar. Repeat the folding step twice. Finally fold the dough into 1 foot long and 8 inches wide.
- Let the cake rest for 30 minutes. Then place on a wet cloth on a steamer rack. Put rack in place over boiling water. Steam about 50-60 minutes.
- Remove and let cool a little. Cut into small squares or diamonds. Serve.