Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Just like storebought, but cheaper. Easy to make and store. Guilt free. Can be used any time you need Bisquick. Even my ultra-picky hubby likes it! Adapted from Low Fat Bisquick Substitute. Thank you WaterMelon!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran flour (not absolutely necessary, but increases health qualities)
- 1⁄2 cup dry buttermilk (I use Safco...can be bought in most groceries, baking aisle)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or can substitute Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon butter-flavored sprinkles (I used Butterbuds from spice aisle in grocery)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Mix dry ingredients in food processor or electric mixer.
- Slowly pour in the oil as the machine is running.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Mix thoroughly again.
- Store in airtight container in the frig or freezer.
Overall, I am really happy to have this recipe and think that indeed, it makes a fab healthy Bisquick substitute. I will absolutely make it again and will keep it on hand for quick waffels and buscuits. The reason for four stars instead of five is because it is too sweet (in my opinion) and because there is no instructions on how to actually use this recipe. Now, I'm assuming that is because most people have Bisquick and already use it all of the time? Well, I don't because it is not that healthy (with the fat and bleached flower)which is why I made this in the first place. I did a 'zaar search to find other Buisquick knock off recipes to get the instructions, but they did not work all that great with this mix. I made buiscuits that were flat, crunchy and sweet and were more like a cookie. The batter was so runny I had to add a lot more mix, thus ending up with more "buiscuits" than we could eat. When I made waffels, which turned out pretty good, but again were too sweet and a bit too oily (this mix and the instructions on how to make the mix both have oil in them). Hubby said that they were like muffins. So, my request to make this a five-star recipe is to add the instructions on how to use the mix. Next time I will use about 1/4 cup of sugar. Otherwise, I am super happy to have found this recipe. Thanks!