Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
My husband LOVES mint chocolate chip ice cream, and when I made this one night he freaked. Now he asks me to make it all the time. Please note, that around here where I live in Northern San Diego county, not a single grocery store carries regular chocolate graham crackers anymore...just the sticks, which don't work for this recipe. But Nabisco does still make them, and I order them from time to time from Netgrocer.com.
- 20 whole chocolate graham crackers
- 1⁄2 gallon green mint chocolate chip ice cream (in a box)
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Have ready a baking sheet or inverted metal baking pan at least 11x5" that will fit in your freezer.
- Unwrap crackers.
- Place 4 whole crackers side by side, long sides touching, on baking sheet (you'll have a 10 1/4 x 4 3/4" rectangle).
- Have ready a tall pitcher of warm water.
- Take ice cream from freezer; remove top and sides of box.
- Dip a long sharp knife into the pitcher, wipe dry and cut three 1/3" thick slabs from one end of the brick.
- With a broad spatula, lift slabs and place in a single layer on arranged graham crackers, aligning corners and edges.
- Top with 4 crackers.
- Repeat until there are four layers each ice cream and graham crackers.
- Top with remaining 4 crackers.
- Press down gently but firmly.
- Using a small spatula, smooth ice cream on sides to even up the crackers.
- Immediately place torte (still on sheet) in freezer.
- Freeze at least 12 hours.
- Heat chocolate glaze ingredients in a small saucepan or in microwave until steaming hot, but not boiling.
- Let stand 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk until melted and smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Line a rimmed pan that will fit in your freezer with foil.
- Set a wire cooling rack in pan.
- Lift frozen torte to rack.
- Pour glaze over torte, covering top, sides, and ends.
- Return to freezer until chocolate is firm.
- Loosen torte from rack with a broad metal spatula and transfer to a serving plate, or wrap and freeze up to one month.
- TO SERVE: Garnish torte with mint sprigs.
- Cut from an end in 1/2" thick slices.