Recipe by ForeverMama
The title says it all...
Top Review by I'mPat
I made these for the DM as a birthday treat dessert. I only ended up making 9 as that was as many as I could fit on my tray and I was running short of time. The only change I made which takes away the skinny girl aspect was to use melted butter (brushing it on) instead of spray oil as my oil was not spraying as a fine mist but in clumps otherwise made as per recipe and they were beautifully crisp and oh so good, thank you ForeverMama, made for Photo Tag tag game.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
- butter flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all filling ingredients.
- Place stacked sheets of phyllo on a flat surface and cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. Lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Top with another sheet. Cut lengthwise in three 4-inch-wide strips. Move strips apart. Mound 1 heaping tablespoon filling at one end about 1-inch from corner. Fold opposite corner at same end over filling, forming a triangle. Continue folding your way up the strip, as you would a flag, to the end.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and the filling. You'll have 12 turnovers. (Can be made ahead up to this point and frozen on a tray or cookie sheet. When firm, pack in plastic bags.).
- To bake freshly made or frozen turnovers: Heat oven to 400-degrees F. Lightly coat a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange turnovers seam-side down on prepared cookie sheet. Lightly spray tops with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 15 - 17 minutes, or until golden. Remove to wire rack to cool.