Recipe by KissKiss
Fresh produce hot off the grill makes an unbelievable sandwich. I use an indoor grill pan mainly because the onions can be hard to control on a grate-style grill (but you could poke a skewer through them to keep them from slipping through the grate). To make this off-season, you could mix some chopped sun-dried tomatoes (instead of fresh) into the goat cheese. For small children, this is surprisingly palatable and very healthy. Check out my last step for a tip on how to serve to little ones.
Top Review by breezermom
I mixed up my own herbes de provence, and roasted the vegetables in the oven instead of grilling them. I've never heard of yellow zucchini, so I used a yellow straightneck squash. I think this would be excellent on fresh pita bread with tzatziki sauce. I used goat cheese with garlic and chives. Made for Family Favorites in ZWT5
- 1 large zucchini, sliced longways in 1/4-inch thickness, then cut in half
- 1 large yellow zucchini, sliced longways in 1/4-inch thick, then cut in half
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds, salted and drained on paper towels for 10 minutes
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced in 1/2 - 1 inch thick rounds (keep rings together)
- salt and pepper
- herbes de provence
- olive oil
- 4 large oblong sandwich buns (good quality)
- 3 -4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese, divided and at room-temp (goat cheese rolled in Mediterranean herbs is HIGHLY recommended)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large bowl, toss the vegetables (except onions) in enough olive to coat. Season generously with salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence. (You'll need to oil and season the onions on a flat surfact so they don't separate.).
- Grill the vegetables over medium-high heat in batches until they are done (have grill marks and are tender-crisp).
- Split the sandwich rolls with a serated knife, keeping one side intact. Spread 1 oz of goat cheese on each roll.
- Put a few slices of tomato on each roll and top with evenly divided portions of grilled vegetables. Serve immediately.
- Tip: For my 13-month-old, I diced all veggies except the onion and tomato. Then I tore the bread into very small pieces and tossed it with crumbled goat cheese. He loved it!