Recipe by RachelT
From Chef Al (of Rosas Farms http://www.alrosas.com/) soon to be released book PERFECTED MEAT, via the Sara Snow newsletter. This recipe makes my mouth water. Preparation time includes making the marinade, marinating the steaks, and allowing them to reach room temperature; Cooking time is for Medium Rare and omits wait time after removing from grill.
- 4 great big rosas farms all grass-fed organic rib eye steaks (at least 1-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup mascovado sugar
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 20 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup crushed red pepper flakes (original recipe calls for "7 Spice, but says crushed red peppers can subsitute)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly ground peppercorn, mixture
- 3⁄4 cup organic olive oil
- olive oil, and
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzle (top quality, of course)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, garlic, 7 spice (or crushed red pepper if using), peppercorns and olive oil. Stir well to form a thick, fairly dry paste.
- Rub the paste over the entire steak, coating evenly and refrigerate, wrapped in plastic, for 6 hours (Sous vide/under vacuum for 3 hours).
- Preheat grill or pan.
- Remove steak from the refrigerator let stand at room temperature for 60-90 minutes then brush off (Do not rinse) excess marinade (Sugar will burn).
- Cook on the hottest part of the grill for 2 minutes ¼ turn for grill mark and another 2 minutes flip over and repeat the process.
- Total cook time total is 8 minutes. Remove from heat and LET STEAK REST 7-10 minutes for a perfect medium rare. Slice against the grain (or serve it as is).
- Drizzle with organic balsamic vinegar (Of the highest quality) serve immediately.
- For Pan frying, fry in a mixture of ½ organic olive oil ½ organic butter in a hot pan for 4 minutes on medium high heat flip over and fry for 4 additional minutes allow to rest. This steak is always a favorite at Rosas Farms.