Recipe by McGelby
A versatile make ahead sandwich I found at http://lizaisacookinmama.blogspot.com/2012/07/perfect-picnic-sandwich.html. Great for camping and picnics.
- 1 round loaf Italian bread
- 5 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper (or 1 cup of one color)
- 1⁄3 cup yellow bell pepper (or 1 cup of one color)
- 1⁄3 cup orange bell pepper (or 1 cup of one color)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- 1 lb sliced cheese
- 1 lb deli meat
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, mix together the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic, basil and vinegar.
- Cut off top of loaf and scoop out inside of loaf leaving 3/4-inch shell.
- Discard removed bread or save for another use.
- Brush inside of bread shell with olive oil.
- Spoon in 1/2 of the vegetable mixture into the bottom, spreading evenly.
- Add one layer of each of the meats followed by one layer of each of the cheeses.
- Repeat the layers of meats and cheeses.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 of the vegetable mixture.
- Replace the lid.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Compress while refrigerating or while in cooler using heavy objects on top.