Recipe by Karen=^..^=
I came up with this after trying to duplicate lasagna I fell in love with at a Christmas party. I had some of the details/ingredients, but not the exact recipe. If you don't like ricotta cheese, like a creamy lasagna or just want to try something different, give this a whirl! PLEASE don't substitute anything...it just won't come out the same.
- 9 ounces barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 -12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated or shaved)
- 2 (28 ounce) jarsfrancesco rinaldi ultra dolce spaghetti sauce (also known as "Sweet and Tasty Tomato", you will have about 1/2 jar leftover)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the Bechamel Sauce:.
- Heat the cream and milk in the microwave until it is hot, but not boiling.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the hot cream and milk. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, continuing to whisk, 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until fairly thick. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. (I use about 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper).
- Directions for Assembling the Lasagna:.
- In a deep lasagna pan begin layering with thin layer of red sauce.
- Add first layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add second layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add third layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and remaining béchamel sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer remaining mozzarella.
- Add fourth and final layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top. Then top with red sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Cover top of lasagna dish with cover or foil.
- Place assembled lasagna dish into oven for 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove cover and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to settle for about 15-20 minutes before serving.