The Essential Crunchy Sugar Cookies (King Arthur Flour)
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening, butter and sugar until smooth.
- In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the milk, vinegar and vanilla; add this to the butter mixture, beating until well combined. This mixture will look curdled, which is okay.
- Add the nutmeg, flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until the mixture forms a cohesive dough.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonful onto the cookie sheets. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten the balls to 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, or until they're a light gold color and just beginning to brown.
- Remove them from oven and transfer to a rack to cool. As they cool, they'll become crisp. If you want them to remain crisp, store in an airtight container when they're totally cool.