Crunchy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (I used Enova)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (I used the latter) or 3/4 cup Splenda granular (I used the latter)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar (I used the latter) or 1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed (I used the latter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup barley flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup toffee pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional, I didn't use) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Beat the butter, oil sugars, vanilla, salt and instant coffee in a large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in the vinegar, egg, baking soda and baking powder until well combined.
- Stir in the flours until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, toffee bits and pecans, if desired. *The dough wil appear oily.
- Scoop out 1 inch balls and place on baking sheets. They don't need to be spaced far apart because they don't spread much. *I tried flattening some but didn't like them as much.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, reversing trays half way through, until golden brown all over with no hint of softness in the center.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool 5 minutes on baking sheets before transferring to racks or paper bags to cool completely.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Yay! First try making crunchy choco chippers and they turned out! These can be made vegan (egg-free and dairy-free)I used earth balance shortening in place of butter and coconut oil and olive oil for veg oil, egg replacer (1 tsp plus 1.5 tbsp warm water) instead of egg, store brand semi-sweet choc chips which contain no milk, and halved the recipe and still got about 30. Make sure you watch them. First batch turned out too dark with slightly burned bottoms at 14 min. This might have been due to my making mine a little small. So I next batch was baked for 5 minutes, turned the tray, and baked for about 5 more minutes. They get cracked and golden brown AND crunchy! You're awesome Engrossed! Just the cookie I needed!
OUTSTANDING! Barley flour isn't usually on my pantry shelf, but it is now! I opted out when it came to instant coffee, but other than that, the directions were followed, & the cookies were GREAT! Many thanks, as others have asked for a copy of the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]