Recipe by breezermom
This was clipped from an old magazine...I found it at my mother's house stuffed in a recipe box. The notes say that it is what new bride's should serve the first time she has her parents and in-laws over together, in order to make a good impression.
Top Review by Ty's Kitchen
This was really good but we found the taste of the artichokes unusual. Since we seldom eat them - I would think it was just our preferences. I would definitely make this again but use onions or celery instead of artichokes. I also cut the butter in half and used a tad more chicken broth. Served with brown rice.
- 8 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 teaspoon dried whole tarragon, crushed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (half the amount if you use dry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup butter to the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the butter melts; add the mushrooms, and saute until tender. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Place the mushrooms and halved artichoke hearts on top of the chicken. Sprinkle with the crushed tarragon.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add flour to the drippings in the skillet, stirring until smooth. Cook over low heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat, and stir in sherry.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the chicken is done.