1/1 Photo of The Bomb Sausage Egg Casserole With Secret Party Ingredients
1 hr 5 mins
This riff on the sausage/egg casserole was born tonight and caused us to fall off our chairs. Caught lightning in a bottle with this so will notate exactly what I did. NOTE: there are many recipes with a number of these basic ingredients. Since there were a few new elements, significantly varied portions and particular techniques used, I'm listing it as a separate recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 pieces brownberry's oatnut bread, cubed (lightly toasted)
- 1/3 large white onion, chopped
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, crushed in a press
- 4 -6 leaves fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh crushed black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1-preheat oven to 360.
- 2two parts to this prep; the sausage mix prep and the egg mix prep.
- 3THE SAUSAGE MIX.
- 4-break sausage into small pieces and begin to brown in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, never more than medium heat.
- 5-after about five minutes, push sausage to one side.
- 6-add chopped onion and crushed garlic to other side of pan; add basil leaves, torn into small, dime-size pieces; place this side of the pan directly over the heat to start the onions on their way. Keep it moving and keep heat low so the garlic doesn't burn.
- 7-add some fresh crushed black pepper and dashes of kosher salt.
- 8-once onions start to soften and brown a bit, mix in with sausage.
- 9-continue to mix and modulate heat from medium to low, careful not to burn the meat, until sausage is brown. Turn off heat.
- 10THE EGG MIX.
- 11-beat the five eggs.
- 12-add milk and half & half.
- 13-add lightly toasted and cubed Brownberry's Oatnut bread [if you don't have this, what you should know is it's full-bodied and has a slight sweetness, as well as the obvious texture from, well -- oats and nuts.this is a major flavor/texture secret in the final tasting].
- 14-add 2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- 15-add dried mustard and some more pepper.
- 17-2tsp of olive oil rubbed into bottom/sides of 2 inch deep/9 inch diameter ceramic baking dish.
- 18-sausage mixture into bottom of dish.
- 19-add egg mixture over the top.
- 20-spread remaining 1/3 cup cheddar cheese over the top.
- 21-more crushed black pepper and and couple dashes of paprika dusted over the top.
- 22---***** I forgot to add a little baking powder to this to keep the egg fluffy. Will add a teaspoon next time******.
- 24-45 minutes at 360 degrees, fork test in center comes out clean.
- 25-let set for 5 minutes and serve!
- 26You're welcome!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Bomb Sausage Egg Casserole With Secret Party Ingredients
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.6
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 212.6 mg
- Sodium 883.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 22.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: