Recipe by Starrynews
Having recently tried and enjoyed a number of recipes featuring the sweet potato and black bean combo, I was excited to sample a dish using them at a restaurant. As it was quite tasty, I, of course, decided I needed to be able to make them at home! A few tweaks later, here we are. I put a range on the serving size, as I only eat half, but no doubt there's someone who can eat the whole thing in one sitting :) Using pepperjack cheese instead of the white cheddar is also a good choice - nice for a little added zip.
Top Review by Motivated Mama
Really good! I don't peel potatoes either and it worked just fine. Instead of baking the sweet potatoes I sauteed them then added the onions, peppers and black beans progressively. I used cheddar and jack cheese, whole wheat tortillas and added spinach to mine. I turned these into medium, burritos and fed the four of us very well. Thank you for posting!
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 t
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 onion
- 8 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices white cheddar cheese
- 2 burrito-size flour tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine sweet potatoes, 1 T olive oil, cumin and coriander. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut the red and green pepper into strips and slice onion.
- Add remaining olive oil to a skillet and saute the red pepper, green pepper, and onions until tender.
- Add black beans and heat mixture through. Remove from heat, but keep warm.
- Prepare a large pan with cooking spray and let heat until a small amount of water tossed on it sizzles. Crack each egg on either side of the pan and add 2 T water. Cover with pan and cook until yolk is set. Note: to actually eat as a burrito, it is helpful to have the yolk more set. If you prefer a runnier yolk, you can pull it off earlier, and you'll probably want to grab a knife and fork :).
- Place a cheese slice in the center of each tortilla and top with egg, when ready.
- Combine sweet potatoes and the black bean mixture and fill each burrito. Wrap up burrito-style. Enjoy as-is, or serve with your favorite salsa!