Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe makes about a MILLION of the best sugar cookies I've ever had! I'm not sure exactly how many...6 dozen was a guess...maybe more! The icing dries to be nice and firm. Perfect for stacking.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 7 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring
- In a very large mixing bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add butter, sugar, evaporated milk and mix well.
- Add a tiny amount of water to the baking soda (just enough to stir) and add to the bowl.
- Sift flour and baking powder together; blend gradually into cookie mixture.
- Chill until easily handled.
- Grease and flour cookie sheets.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Ice cooled cookies Icing: Sift powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add evaporated milk and vanilla, mix well.
- Add food color if desired.
Not a very good sugar cookie recipe. The dough was tough not silky. I was very unsure of using the nutmeg also. I've done sugar cookies for 35 years and will not be using this one again. Huge waste of flour! Definitely don't chill this dough if you are going to use it.
I made these without the nutmeg and they were so easy to roll and baked up perfectly. Good taste and the frosting was easy to use and dried nice and hard. I cant wait to make them again.
These were ok. The kids liked them but to me I prefer the cream cheese cut out cookie and so did they. Good for a solid cookie that does not crumble and good to decorate even if the taste is not a 5 star.