I came across this at Epicurious and fell in love, and its been elsewhere. Years of looking for the lemon pasta I remembered as a child, and finally found it. Tweaked it a little to my own taste, replacing parsley with fresh basil and using linguine. If you don't have tender asparagus, the europes best frozen ones are far better than woody fresh ones. Do NOT substitute lighter creams, it just does not work that well.
- Cut the asparagus into 1/2 inch slices on the diagonal, or just into 3 pieces.
- In a steamer set over boiling water steam asparagus, covered, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. set aside.
- In a 6-quart kettle bring 5 quarts salted water to a boil for pasta.
- In a deep 12-inch skillet heat butter and cream over moderately low heat until butter is melted and stir in zest, lemon juice, and salt. Remove skillet from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.
- Add pasta to boiling water and boil, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Ladle 1/4 cup pasta water into sauce and drain pasta in colander.
- Immediately add pasta and asparagus to sauce and cook over moderate heat, tossing, 1 minute, or until heated through. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Sprinkle pasta with a little Parmesan and serve more Parmesan on the side.
Wonderfully delicious - this dish made a lovely dinner and would be perfect for any special occasion! The flavors are really delicious -- loved the lemon and parmesan - added a bit extra of both. Next time, I may add a little twist to this dish by adding a few grilled shrimp on top - YUM! Can't wait to have this dish again! Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag, February, 2012.
Just delicious. I keep coming back to this recipe. As others have said, I just add the asparagus to the pasta 3 mins before the end of its cooking time rather than cooking it before and it works perfectly. Thanks very much for posting this here.
Whats not to love in this recipe! Honestly every single ingredient is delicious and plays so very well with everything else. This is my first asparagus of this year and this was a grand way to enjoy it. The lemon touch is perfection. Also I took the tip from other reviewers and added the asparagus to the pasta shortly before it was ready. Quite easy and very yummy.