1/2 Photos of The Almost Original Branston Pickle Recipe!
2 hrs 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
One of the best-known British commercialised pickles or relishes, is that of Branston Pickle, a spiced vegetable mixture - and a staple for all cheese sarnies (sandwiches) and ploughman's lunches! There are many generic brands on the market now, but this is the closest set of ingredients and the most authentic taste, compared with the Original Branston Pickle recipe! Branston Pickle is wonderful when added to curries and stews, and you MUST try it with toasted cheese or Welsh rarebit - delicious!
My Private Note
1 lb Jars
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 medium swede, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 ounces dates, finely chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium apples, finely chopped, unpeeled
- 2 medium finely chopped courgettes, unpeeled
- 15 -20 small cornichons or 15 -20 small gherkins, finely chopped
- 10 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 pint malt vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring them to the boil.
- 2Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the swede is cooked, but still remains firm, about 2 hours.
- 3Stir well to redistribute all of the vegetables.
- 4Bottle and seal in sterile and hot jars.
- 5Allow the pickle to age for a few weeks before using, this improves the taste and it will become more "mellow".
- 6Serve with cheese, ploughman's lunches, in sandwiches, with cold cuts and meats. This pickle is also wonderful when added to curries and stews.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Almost Original Branston Pickle Recipe!
Serving Size: 1 (3313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.7
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2378.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 141.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 117.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g