Recipe by Girl from India
A must - every Christmas
Top Review by MizEmerilLagasse
Wow, this cake is really really good! I had watched a show of the food network or something on a cake like this and always wondered what it would taste like, and I've got to just say, "YUMMY!" This is a very different type of cake, but it sure is good. Thank you very much Fay for this great recipe!
- 1⁄4 kg desiccated coconut
- 1⁄4 kg semolina (fine)
- 1⁄2 kg sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 -5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 -5 drops red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the sugar and water Heat on a low flame till the sugar dissolves in the water and a single string forms Add the Semolina and coconut and cook exactly for 7 mins Take the mix off the burner Let cool Preheat oven to 180C Beat the eggs lightly one by one and add to the mixture.
- Let it cool down completely. Mix well. Add butter and vanilla essence. Fold it into the batter.
- Take 2 tsp of baking powder and add it to 2 tblsp of hot (boiling )water (it will froth). When it cools add it to the batter. (Sorry This is a key ingredient I left out in the list of ingredients)
- Add the eggs, beaten one by one into the batter and stir to mix well.
- Pour half the batter in a buttered cake baking dish (9 x 9) and mix the red colour drops in the rest of the batter.pour over the lower layer.
- Bake for about an hour or till skewer pierced in the cake comes out clean.