Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From The Art of the Slow Cooker
- 3 -4 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- lime, juice and zest of
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- preheat a broiler on high. Season ribs with salt and pepper and set bone side down on broiler tray. Spray with nonstick spray and broil until meaty parts are brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Mix together the garlic, ginger, hoisin, vinegar, fish sauce, honey, soy sauce, and lime zest and juice in a bowl and pour over ribs. Cook until tender, about 3 to 4 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Transfer the ribs to a platter. Skim fat from the liquid and discard. Add the jalapeno, scallions, and cilantro and cook on high 5 minutes. Spoon sauce over meat and serve.