Recipe by Manami
Wonderful way to use up that leftover chicken! Found this on A Taste of Thai web site and am posting as per requested. Update: 12/01/2009 made this yesterday and it definitely needs the red curry paste and as one reviewer said some lime juice and cilantro are a must. ;)
Top Review by jrusk
I made this with leftover turkey. I used a bag of broccoli slaw so I only had to chop cabbage and onions. This was a rather quick recipe to throw together. The cilantro is a MUST. I still thought it was lacking a little something so I added lime juice and that did the trick for me. I plan to add some ginger when I heat up the leftovers. Good soup!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste (Use less if you can't handle the heat)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cut up leftover cooked chicken
- 4 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced on 1/2-inch diagonal
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 ounces rice noodles, any width, broken into bite size pieces
- garnish chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot, heat vegetable oil.
- Sauté onion and Red Curry Paste until onion is almost soft.
- Add mushrooms. Sauté 3-4 minutes longer.
- Add chicken, broth, scallions, carrots, cabbage, rice vinegar and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add rice noodles, stirring together well.
- Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro.