1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe on another web site, but I just can't remember which one! It is AWESOME! Grab the bread and dunk, dunk, dunk! I've made rice or pasta or even once used those small white or red potatoes to accompany this. A HUGE favorite in my house and is best, I think, the second day (or third....) This is really more like a stew than "chili" as we know it. This is the first time I've listed a recipe here... so be gentle! :O) I'd love to know what you all think! Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 lbs beef blade steaks (I use pre-cut stew meat from the store)
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 -4 medium green peppers, dices (I don't dice the onions or peppers, but cut them up into "chunks")
- 4 cloves garlic (I slice mine)
- 1 (2 ounce) can tomato paste (if you like it thicker, use 2 cans)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup sugar (or substitute)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cheese (to garnish)
- 1Cut steak into 1/2" cubes.
- 2Brown meat in oil (I just dribble olive oil on the bottom of the pan, as the meat makes alot of liquid anyway).
- 3Add onions (or reserve 1/2 cup for use later) peppers, and garlic to drippings in pan over medium heat.
- 4Cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 5Add more oil if necessary.
- 6(Note: As I"chunk" my pepers and onions, it takes a bit longer than this for them to soften up).
- 7Return meat to pan and add tomatoes and their liquid and remaining ingredients, except cheese and set aside onions.
- 8(Note: When I want it thicker, I use a 28 oz. can of tomatoes as I use the 2nd can of tomato paste).
- 9Heat to boiling, then reduce to low, cover and simmer approx.
- 101 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- 11Spoon chili into large bowls, sprinkle cheese and add onions if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Style Chili
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.2
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 1370.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 24.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: