Recipe by Starman5
This recipe has been in my family since I was a kid, and I'm a senior citizen now. For years I made it with cheddar cheese, now I make it with cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Colby, and boy, what a difference!
- 3 -4 lbs chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (15 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded colby, cheese1
- 1 tablespoon ancho chilies or 2 teaspoons mild new mexico chile powder or 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 15 -20 regular size corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the chicken with 1/2 cup onion and the salt and pepper until meat falls off the bones (about 1 hour), save the chicken stock for use later. Let the chicken cool, then slice the into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the chicken stock with all the other remaining ingredients except the cheese and tortillas.
- Mix the three cheeses together.
- Dip tortillas into remaining reserved chicken stock and put a double layer of tortillas in two 8 inch x 8 inch pans (I use two 2 quart Pyrex glass ones), a layer of the soup, vegetables and chicken mixture, a layer of 1/3 of the cheese, then repeat these layers two more times.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
- Let the dish set for 10 minutes before serving. This recipe results in a mildly hot dish. If you would like it hotter, increase the three peppers, or just serve with a jar of ground cayenne pepper, so each person can adjust the heat as they like.