Recipe by KT Scarlet
This stick-to-your-ribs chili recipe has a sweetness to it that offsets the hot-but-not-too-hot burn that follows. I started with my step mom's recipe and made it my own. The amounts below are really "guesstimates" which makes it a little different every time!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Pretty much made this recipe as given, then, except for 2 servings, I packaged the rest in 2-serving freezer containers & took care of it that way! Now we can look forward to having some of this wonderfully satisfying chili over the next month or so! You have a great recipe here! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- dill, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained or 2 (14 ounce) canssubstitute your favorite rotel
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
- 3⁄4 cup picante sauce, your favorite flavor and heat
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I love the original KC Masterpiece, but any thick, sweet BBQ sauce should work.)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Frito Scoops
- prepared macaroni and cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in a little bit of oil. Add ground beef and minced garlic. Dust with dill, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Mix and cook covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through. Drain fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
- Add picante sauce, barbecue sauce, diced green chilies.
- Add any additional chili powder and/or red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or more. I have let this simmer for up to 2 hours and the longer it sits, the yummier it gets. It's great the next day, and the day after, too!
- Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese on top. Eat with the Frito Scoops if you are feeling adventurous enough to dig in without a spoon.
- Optional - Make a box of mac 'n cheese and ring your chili bowl with it before spooning in the chili. Delectable!