Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ordinary days will feel like special days. :)
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, well drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 ready-made 9-inch pie shell, baked as directed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- mild salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place corn, bellpepper, and bacon on the bottom of the crust and sprinkle with cheese.
- Combine eggs, cream and chili powder and pour over ingredients in pie crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with monterey jack cheese, if desired.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with salsa if desired.
I chose this recipe in our adopted recipe swap. I made one change to the recipe. I added a pound of ground beef between the corn and cheese layers. While the recipe was good, I think the addition of just a few spices would make it fantastic. Next time I make this, I'm going to add minced garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne for a little kick. I actually had to bake the pie for 45 minutes before the egg was set. After it was done, I topped it with monterey jack cheese and popped it back in the oven until the cheese melted. Overall, a good recipe that just needs a little tweaking.
Just a thought..I am now going to try some lower fat items..the saturated fat is too high for our needs but the recipe as it stands is delicious! I will use egg beaters, soy station cheese, (which is really good!)and morningstar breakfast patties crumbled..it will reduce the calories greatly and more than that, reduce the high fat content! I will come back with a "way to go!" What I mean is that for those of us who must find our own way sometimes, this is a great recipe!