Recipe by hellokitty
This is an adaptation from the Cheerios website, you can also substitute the 2 cups of oatmeal for 2 cups of Cheerios for a whole grain crunch!
Top Review by Jodi B.
I used 2 cups of oats which made the muffins too heavy. They were tasty but like doorstops. I also added about 3 tablespoons of splenda to the brown sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/3 cup of egg beaters instead of the egg white and 1/4 cup of flax seeds. Maybe I'll try this again using cheerios (not crushed) to see if they'll be lighter.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats or 2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour or 1 1⁄4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup banana, mashed, very ripe (2 to 3 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups.
- (Crush cereal if you used cereal instead of oats) Stir together oats/cereal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients just until moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.