We really enjoy this simple stir-fry. I usually add minced garlic, minced ginger, and any other veggies I happen to have on hand, so it never seems to come out the same way twice. From Bon Appetit, May 1998.
- 8 ounces soba noodles, halved
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into 1/3-inch slices
- 6 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain well; return to pot.
- Add sesame oil and toss to coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet and saute until no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add sliced green onions, carrot and crushed red pepper.
- Stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender but still bright in color and chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add noodles and teriyaki sauce and toss to blend well.