Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A very typical cookie in Germany for Christmas.
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 medium lemon, zest of
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter (cold)
- 4 egg yolks, hard-boiled
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2-1 cup jam
- caster sugar
- Press the four hard-boiled egg yolks through a sieve and set aside.
- Put the first four ingredients into food processor.
- Cut cold butter into pieces and add to the flour mixture. Mix in food processor until pea sized clumps are formed.
- Add hard-boiled and raw egg yolks and mix until large clumps are formed. Don't overmix dough. Take dough out of food processor and knead a few times to form the dough. Wrap dough in foil and put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven (390 F, 200 C). Grease a baking tray.
- Take dough out of the fridge and divide into portions you can handle. Knead the dough a few times.
- Flour the workspace and the dough very lightly and roll out thin (like a back of a knife) using a rolling pin.
- Cut out cookies using cookies forms. To make the terrace cookies you need a "large", a "medium" and a "small" cookie form of the same shape. If you don't have cookie forms in different sizes, you can cut out cookies with a knife.
- Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes. Baking time depends on your oven. Cookies should be lightly brown (don't overbake them).
- Let cool cookies completey on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile heat up the jam on low heat so that it gets a little more fluid.
- Make the terrace cookies: put a little of the jam on the underside of the medium sized cookie and put on the large one. Put a little jam on the small cookie and put on the medium one. Dust with caster sugar.
- Store cookies in an airtight cookie box.
- NOTE: The number of cookies depends on the size of your cookie forms and how thin you roll out the dough. So my number is just a vague guess.
- NOTE: Baking/cooking time is given for one baking tray.
I made this today but used heart-shaped cutters. I had some trouble with assembly but figured it out in the end. Very tasty but I am finding it hard to save some for tomorrow.