Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tahina is one of my favorite foods, I use it as a salad dressing, I drag some pita through it, or spread it on bread as a great base for sandwiches. I have even been known to mix it into tuna fish salad.
- 3⁄4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 3⁄4 cup water, more if needed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, more if needed
- 1⁄4 cup strained fresh lemon juice, , or more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- If you are opening a jar of tahini, stir to blend the two layers before measuring it.
- Stir it slowly to avoid splashing.
- Refrigerate whats left in the jar and it will stay blended.
- Spoon the tahini paste into a medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk in ¾ cup water.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne and cumin.
- Taste and add more salt, lemon juice and cayenne if you like.
- If the sauce is too thick, stir in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Serve cool or at room temperature.
- You can make this in the blender.
- This is quicker, but I find washing a bowl and whisk easer than washing a blender.
- The Tupperware shaker also is a good tool, my Tupperware lady demonstrated her shaker making tehina, and I just had to have it!