Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
When I taught school, some of us would prepare a few batches of this stew for a special staff lunch. It was great because prep time was kept to a minimum...no precooking of ANYTHING! Great for people who don't own a crockpot, too!
- 3 lbs stew beef chunks
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 5 potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped or sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- sliced mushrooms, if you wish
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2-1 cup wine or 1⁄2-1 cup vermouth
- salt and pepper
- Put all ingredients in heavy covered dish or pan.
- A Dutch over works nicely.
- Cook for 5 hours in a 250 degree oven.
- REMEMBER- DO NOT PRECOOK ANYTHING!
- Vegetables should be raw or frozen and meat should be raw!