Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Take a step out of the ho-hum ordinary, with this delicious cake. Delicately flavored with lime.
Make and share this Tea and Lime Loaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1⁄2 cup cold strong tea (Red Rose brand prefered*)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Cream 1 cup (250 mL) sugar, shortening and eggs thoroughly.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and rind; mix well.
- Add alternately with cold tea to creamed mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Fold in nuts.
- Turn into greased waxed paper-lined 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch (1 1/2 L) loaf pan.
- Level top.
- Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for about 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Leave in pan.
- Heat remaining sugar and lime juice until sugar is dissolved.
- Pierce loaf all over top with wooden pick.
- Spoon syrup over bread slowly, letting small amounts sink into loaf before adding more.
- Cool loaf before removing from pan.
- * Note: Red Rose is a brand name of standard blended Orange and Black Pekoe tea.
So delicious! The flavor of the lime was really great and this is very easy to make!
This was quick and the results were great. My daughter ate the entire cake in two days! I love the syrup, think I'll double it next time! Thanks 1Steve.